Tuesday 15 February 2011

The BAFTA's

Overall, I thought that this year’s BAFTA’s were very enjoyable, perhaps the best they’ve been in a long while. However, I did get very annoyed by Jonathon Ross’s very unfunny jokes and was quite bewildered by the choice of opening with some rather random dancers!

The winner’s themselves though I mostly agreed with – that sounds like quite an arrogant thing to say I suppose but I can’t help but get very angry when the people I want to win don’t! So here is a kind of run-down of the winners for anyone who has been living in cave, with my opinions for the few of you who care!


Firstly, although there were many awards picked up by The King’s Speech, I was glad to see that it didn’t win everything and that there were other great films which got some recognition. I have yet to see The King’s Speech, so I feel I can’t really comment on whether the awards it won; Outstanding British Film, Original Screenplay, Supporting Actress – Helena Bonham Carter, Supporting Actor – Geoffrey Rush and Leading Actor –Colin Firth, were deserved. However, I will say that I was pleased Geoffrey Rush won in favour of Christian Bale, who I thought would and also was very happy Helena Bonham Carter received an award and made a lovely, albeit long, speech. But, mostly I was so happy Colin Firth finally got some recognition that he deserves as a ‘real’ actor as opposed to his usual title of being the Mr Darcy of the British rom-com world!

Also, no surprise that the award for Special Visual Effects went to Inception and Film not in the English Language went to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, neither of which I have seen but am sure are worthy winners. I was also very happy that Chris Morris won Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer for Four Lions as I am a massive fan of his comedy and think he is very underrated.

Then, my favourite films of the last few months all too won awards. Naturally, there was no contest for best animated film and Toy Story 3 deservingly walked away with it. Leading Actress was also unsurprising as it went to Natalie Portman for her outstanding performance in Black Swan. I was thrilled that The Social Network won some awards as well (at one point I got slightly worried that it wouldn’t win anything) for best adapted screenplay and best director. In my opinion, I think that perhaps Andrew Garfield and Jesse Eisenberg also deserve awards but I think given the nature and high quality of all the other films nominated there is too much competition. I also was very happy that the award for outstanding contribution to cinema went to Harry Potter and loved JK Rowling’s speech.

Generally, it was a very good awards show and I am now very much looking forward to the Oscar’s. However, I think there will be some substantial differences. I think, and hope, that Natalie Portman and Colin Firth will win best actress and actor, but I think for the King’s Speech there will be less awards with more going to the Fighter, mainly Christian Bale for best supporting actor. I also think that thankfully The Social Network may win a few more awards too.

No comments:

Post a Comment