Tuesday 4 January 2011

A look back and a look forward in film

Right, I intend to start the new year off well. I have made all the usual new year's resolutions such as eating better, losing weight, being more organised and doing more revision but also I plan to be more disciplined with regards to my blog. One thing the Christmas period has shown is the fact that I am easily distracted from my blog and from now on I want to write at least one post each week. I know this may seem very easy to some as most people try to post once a day but I think for me this will be more realistic.

So, for my first post of the new year I think I shall stick to a topic which seems to be slowly becoming a theme to this blog, film. Maybe a look back on the films of 2010 and a look forward to those in 2011. A kind of cliched best of if you like!

I didn't actually go to the cinema as much as I normally do this year looking back, but anyway these are the films of 2010 I saw in order from worst to best!

In joint last position Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky and Mange Prie Aime. As I explained in one of my early posts, Mange Prie Aime, I would have liked to have seen Eat Pray Love in English but instead had to watch it in France so that is why it has to be in last place as I didn’t understand any of it! However, the film which I think has to be the worst that I saw was without a doubt Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky. It was awful and really about nothing. It focussed too hard on trying to look beautiful, which in all fairness it did but it had no substance and it was a huge let down after I had enjoyed the first film so much.

Next I would probably have to say Shrek Forever After, which was funny in places and looked pretty good in 3D. However as has become the problem with Shrek films there is little else that can be done with them after the brilliance of the first. Although there is Shrek the musical opening this year so we will have to see!

I saw Scott Pilgrim last September after having seen bits of the comic and I was surprised by how good it was. I wasn’t expecting great things but it was unexpectedly funny with some sweet moments from Michael Cera too.

A couple of weeks ago I went to see Little Fockers and I’m not really sure where to put it so it is here. I think in any other year it may have been higher in my list but as there were so many good films this year I can’t bring myself to put it higher. This was another surprise and was absolutely hilarious. Possibly one of the best yet, the only thing that lowered its standard was a lack of Dustin Hoffman and Barbara Streisand who are fantastic in the small time they are on screen.

I have now come to a bit of a dilemma. I am down to the last four films I saw last year and can’t decide which order to put them in. I think I love them all equally but for different reasons and I definitely can’t decide on my number one. So before there is outrage or regret for any of my choices I want to say that I love them all!

Okay so in fourth place Alice in Wonderland. A beautifully made film which was stunning in 3D and although many people failed to look past Mia Wasikowki’s sometimes wooden performance I thought it was fantastic. Johnny Depp was brilliantly weird and I loved his Mad Hatter and Helena Bonham Carter was amazing too! I feel that this film got a lot of undeserved criticism although I think I may be biased as I have loved everything Tim Burton has ever done so yeah that’s my fourth.

Well, I really am struggling now…okay third place goes to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Maybe unjustifiably low but looking at my top two I’m okay with it. I think that I’ve already said all I need to say about this film in my post Geeks and Nerds but I’ll just say again that it was excellent.

So, in second place The Social Network this was a tough one and already as I type this I am thinking it should maybe be in the top position but never mind it is here now. Similarly to Harry Potter I have already said a lot about this film in my post The Social Network, original title I know. However, I think it is necessary to say that I was hugely impressed by this film, by its ability to be a film about Facebook and yet to not be about Facebook at the same time. It is a wonderfully made film and I am sure I will be among the first to buy it when it is released to DVD and I am positive it will become one of my most watched films.

Well, drum roll please because this is it, the best film that I watched at the cinema in 2010 was of course Toy Story 3. Where to begin, Pixar yet again came up trumps with a third fantastic, incredible, funny, emotional, touching and brilliant film. It was the best use of 3D I have seen to date as it was subtle yet impressive throughout and the 3D glasses came in very useful when I found myself crying twice at what is often labelled a kid’s cartoon! It was just a fantastic film and I absolutely loved it.

So there you have it my top films of 2010. But what for 2011, already there are some films that look complete gems. Monsters is set to be a box office smash and in my opinion a low budget sci-fi film was jaw dropping special effects can’t go wrong. Danny Boyle’s new film 127 Hours starring James Franco about a man who gets trapped rock climbing and has to cut off his own arm to escape looks really good and so does The King’s Speech starring Helena Bonham Carter as the Queen Mother. The Black Swan described as capable to leave you ‘ashen and gripping your seat’. Never Let Me Go starring Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield and Keira Knightley is set to be the disturbing film adaptation of Kazuo Ishiguro’s novel. There are two films this year starring the brilliant duo Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, their own Paul and Steven Spielberg’s first of three Tintin films. I also can’t wait for films to be released sooner such as Love and Other Drugs and what looks to be the amazing Gnomeo and Juliet! But perhaps the film I am most looking forward to seeing even if it turns out to be rubbish is the new Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides. Already the year ahead looks to be a good one in terms of film and I think that this year I will definitely be making a few more visits to the cinema!

No comments:

Post a Comment