Saturday 8 January 2011

The Tourist

After a exhausting first week back at college, jam packed with exam revision and musical rehearsals, I decided that it was a good idea for the first cinema outing of 2011. At the local cinema in my town students can get cinema tickets for just £4 so my friends and I decided that we could easily scrape that together. Following the second two hour rehearsal of the week we headed to the train station to get the train to the cinema. However, the train was cancelled and if we waited for the next one we would have missed the film but luckily we found a lift and made it in time.


Anyway the film showing this week was The Tourist with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. To be honest, I wasn't expecting great things, as all the reviews I had read had said it was awful but for £4 it really had to be bad for it to be a wasted trip! I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised - not one of the greatest films of all time but not terrible. I even managed to avoid being intensely irritated by Angelina Jolie thanks to her near perfect English accent which I have to say was one of the best I've heard. Also, the film being set in both Paris and Venice looked stunning. The sets showed all the beauty of both of these cities and also the romance associated with them. The costumes were equally beautiful and the obvious designer clothing Jolie was draped in throughout looked amazing. With a fairly small main cast, with Paul Bettany, Timothy Dalton and Rufus Sewell representing the English, the film managed to stay interesting and a decent enough plot with a twist at the end, albeit slightly Usual Suspects style, turned out to be quite effective. Johnny Depp was fantastic as ever and made me laugh throughout, though not as loudly as the people we were sitting in front of!!

Genuinely just an enjoyable film and I would recommend it. My film watching this week also included some French and German films for my upcoming exam. On the French side I rewatched Persepolis a stunning animated film about a young girl growing up in Iran that I would recommend to anyone even if you have never spoken a word of French. For German, I watched Die Fetten Jahre sind Vorbei which was brilliant and a really sweet film about a girl with deaf parents Jenseits der Stille which I also really enjoyed. However, the best film I watched was undoubtedly the genius that is possibly one of my all time favourite films, The Goonies. The cult 80s classic about kids who try and find a pirate's treasure starring Sean Astin aka Sam from Lord of the Rings when he was little is brilliant and to anyone who hasn't seen it you just have to it is too good to describe you just must watch it!

The next film of the year is hopefully going to be Burlesque as that is showing next week and as I have now established for £4 not a lot can go wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment