Sunday 14 November 2010

The Social Network

Yesterday, I went to see The Social Network at my local theatre, in the tiny cinema for just £4. It was hardly packed out with just 5 people plus me and my two friends but I think that it is my favourite cinema, especially for watching more ‘indie’ films like The Social Network.

I really wanted to see the film and I thought that perhaps it had the potential to disappoint but it didn’t at all. There were loads more laughs in it than I expected and in parts it was hilarious, most memorable moment was perhaps the forced cannibalism of a chicken! Jesse Eisenberg was as ever great and I also thought that Andrew Garfield who played Eduardo, Eisenberg’s best friend who he ‘screws over’ was fantastic and his American accent was faultless. Justin Timberlake also proved to be good and managed to, for the most part, not just play Justin Timberlake in a film and he transformed from loveable pop star into a character who was easy to hate. Actually all of the acting was good and there wasn’t a moment whilst watching it when I wished for someone else to be playing the role. I also like the overall look of the film as most of the shots seemed quite dark and dreary which in many cases mirrored Mark Zuckerberg’s (Eisenberg) feelings and experiences.

The film also got me thinking about blogging and its power as what started out as Zuckerberg’s rant at an ex becomes the starting point for an infamous, billion dollar company and a social communication revolution that so many of the world now use. The way in which this theme of change and revolution was presented in the film was very well done. Although with regards to the court case it took no sides which could be argued added a weakness to the film. However, I think this led to overall a more sophisticated portrayal and I think the distancing added to Zuckerberg’s loneliness and what can almost be described as coldness and that’s what made his character to interesting and likeable too. I definitely found myself to take his side despite the fact he was obviously in the wrong. However, the conflict between him and Eduardo is something which was shown in a very ‘human’ way and the whole film showed the relationships and the humanness in quite a sensitive way and the overall result was a film that was very real.

Generally, it was just very good and very well made. I think I would definitely watch it again and I’m considering reading The Accidental Billionaires which the film is based on.

No comments:

Post a Comment