Saturday 6 November 2010

Mange Prie Aime

I took part in a french exchange a couple of weeks ago and went for the first time to see a film in french minus the subtitles. I recently bought Elizabeth Gilbert's book Eat Pray Love and intended to read it before watching the new film with Julia Roberts but I didn't really have a huge choice when taken to the cinema by my exchange partner. However, I barley understood anything in the film and it was almost too painful to endure!!
The autobiographical story of self discovery set in Rome, India and Bali follows Elizabeth as she tries to find herself and love after a bitter divorce. What I've read of the book so far is both emotional and funny and already I can see it becoming a firm favourite. The film really was beautifully shot too and the settings were incredible, it was just a shame I couldn't really understand a word of it!! What I did understand of the film though I loved, especially the character of Liz and I am interested to see how Julia Roberts plays her when I finally get round to watching the English version. Also liked very much the idea of travel and discovery which was shown throughout the film and wish I was able to just up and leave to live in Italy for a bit!! Eating pizza, pasta, gelato and drinking lots of wine but also learning to speak Italian sounds like a pretty good way to spend the best part of a year to me. The soundtrack wasn't bad either and did prompt me to download a few songs.


Also, what I liked about the film was it was simple, not your typical Hollywood over embellished movie. I think now films are in danger of relying too much on getting big name actors and being packed with either loads of actions or equally mountains of pathetic jokes. Often the story and the characters get lost and it becomes more about selling a product. The already christened film of the year is The Kids Are Alright which apparently shows a new focus on relationships and characters and also isn't typically polished and perfect. The family is the most important thing and things go wrong within it, the house is messy because it is a home and this is what I want to see in a film - reality.
When I've finished reading Eat Pray Love I want to watch the original version of the film and hopefully I won't be too disappointed because I want to love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment