Tuesday 30 November 2010

Geeks and Nerds

Last week it became clear to me that I am most definitely a geek, a fully fledged nerd. This realisation arrived in my mind after several events of the last few weeks.

Not last Tuesday but the one before, I was ill and had the day off college. When I finally dragged myself out of bed I wanted to find something good to watch on the TV. After flicking through endless rubbish daytime programmes I resorted to Anytime TV. I found myself getting too overexcited by the programme Star Wars: The Legacy, on the History channel and did in fact watch the whole 3 hour episode - something which I am not hugely proud of. I then spent the rest of the day watching old repeats of Robin Hood and Merlin and finished the day with the extended edition of Lord of the Rings! Overall a very geeky day!


However, the event which proved my nerdiness was my trip to Cardiff last Friday. I had been looking forward to it for weeks and my friends and I really were extremely excited. You see the most important part of the trip after the shopping and Starbucks stops was the evening event - drum roll please - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1. Words cannot describe how excited I was! The shameful fact was that we even bought a kids popcorn and drink to get a free wizards hat each and did not stop talking about it all day and for a couple of days after too!

Anyway, I thought the film was amazing, the best so far with regard to closeness to the book and to the film itself. It was the best film I have seen in ages and the film that has made me cry the most in a long time too. Incredibly I was not irritated as I so often am by any of the acting in the film and the only cringe worthy moment was the Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson dad dance! Generally though the film was so good and I was actually a bit hyper and buzzing when I came out. The sets were, I thought, also amazing and despite the lack of Hogwarts itself there was grandeur elsewhere especially with the Malfoy's house and the Ministry.

The film was a roller coaster of emotions too!! The death of Moody, Hedwig and Dobby and the scene in the graveyard in Godrics Hollow had me in tears whereas other moments had me in hysterics. The scenes with Nagini the snake were absolutely terrifying and its fair to say that I was very scared! Basically after having seen the film two more times it is fast becoming one of my favorites ever and is definitely my favourite Harry Potter, hopefully it can only get better with the final part.

No comments:

Post a Comment