Wednesday 9 June 2010

Hay Festival

Last Friday was my last day at the Guardian Hay Festival and I seem to have accumulated a rather large pile of Guardian papers on my bedroom floor. I kicked off the week with my first event, the incredibly brilliant Ed Byrne who was absolutely hilarious. His response to a drunken woman who heckled his jokes about feminism made me cry with laughter, as did his comments on why people treat animals, especially cats, better than other people and his own obsessing about things he should have said in arguments had me (please excuse the cliche) in stitches!

The following night I went to see Rob Brydon who was equally if not more hilarious. His impressions were amazing, particularly Ronnie Corbet and Tom Jones. He did sing James Blunt's Three Wise Men as Uncle Bryn from Gavin and Stacey and also his long socks made an appearance as he climbed on to extremely wobbly stools in the middle of the stage! Although I was sat next to a man with perhaps the most ridiculously exaggerated laugh in the entire world, this didn't detract from the evening at all and the pathetic questions from the audience only added to his incredibly quick comebacks.

On Thursday, I took my little sister to see Jacqueline Wilson, after a night of what cannot be described as one of light drinking at the Leavers Ball. She was, as ever, brilliant, lovely, witty and very interesting. I caught a glimpse of Mariella Frostrup, tried to walk casually behind the camera and I was successful in appearing on The Book Show at Hay for a few brief seconds! I had my first wander around Hay of the week as this was the first time I had been there in the daylight, but not nearly enough time was spent in the many bookshops!

Friday, I went to see the Early Edition with Marcus Brigstock, Andre Vincent and Carrie Quinlan which was once again hilarious. I managed to spot Toby Young tapping away on his laptop in one of the many festival cafes and I made great use of the free bus service making two trips into town and getting six new books for £20 - bargain! I also discovered the What Are You Like art exhibition which was tucked away in the children's tent behind the beautiful Wiggly Wigglers garden. It was designed to show the true personalities of famous faces who had drawn pictures of their favourite things, including artwork from Andrew Marr, Mary McCarteny, Jack Penate and Lauren Child to name just a few.
It was definitely, as stated on this year's festival bag, 'A Perfect Day in Hay!'

No comments:

Post a Comment