Wednesday 2 March 2011

The Oscars

It is hard to know where to begin with regards to this year’s Academy Awards but I’ll give it a go by starting with the start!


The hosts. James Franco and Anne Hathaway. To be honest they started well with a fairly funny, very well put together homage to the year’s films just with themselves photo shopped into them. This reasonably good start was not kept up and what followed were four hours of stilted conversation, obvious lack of chemistry, bad jokes and over staging which was attempted to be rectified by the impressive use of technology for sketches. Although, I was very impressed with Anne Hathaway’s beautiful singing voice this was detracted from with James Franco in drag which was just another unfunny and unnecessary addition!

The look of the ceremony itself however was faultless. The Swarvoski crystal encrusted stage was beautiful as were most of the dresses which stood on it. I also loved the background screens and all the effects used were very impressive.

Anyway to the awards themselves. Overall I was very happy with the way they were distributed there was no clean sweep for one film and I felt that there were few films which missed out on recognition they deserved. I was so happy that the King’s Speech walked away with so many awards and very glad it won best film. Also, I am over joyed that Colin Firth has finally got an Oscar which he definitely deserves.

Other winners included the brilliant Natalie Portman for her unsettling role in Black Swan and Social Network also took away several well deserved awards as did Toy Story 3. The Fighter also received a substantial amount of acclamation but I can’t really pass judgement as I am yet to see it.

Generally, I thought it was a very good ceremony and I really enjoyed the commentary programme with Alex Zane, Brix Smith Start and Edith Bowman too.

On another note, this week a twitter craze has swept college and I have now become addicted. You can find and follow me here http://twitter.com/#!/RachaelJoTurner!! Also, at the moment I am beyond exciting for a trip tomorrow to London on which I am not only going to see the amazing Billy Elliot but get to take part in a dance class at Pineapple Dance Studios with the cast too! Now although this could lead to a lot of embarrassment due to the fact I cannot dance to save my life I am so excited it is ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment